Sunday, January 7, 2007

Help me Obi One, you're my only hope.

          I need help and I need it now. This is another PC problem. Brought to you by Dell, the maker of my computer, I somehow lost, deleted, destroyed, etc... my audio device in my computer. We get a software from the library every now and then and one day I was deleting the programs from my computer since they cannot be played without the disk. It was after that when it happened. My sound stopped working. The message says that there is no sound device in my computer. When I tried a system restore, my computer went NUTS!! IT would not come back. IT would only return in safe mode where I undid the system restore and everything was back to normal. I tried it twice at two different dates and the same thing happened both times. I have no sound which is a real bummer because I cannot even watch the Harry Potter trailer. You know this makes me oh so sad. 

Help me Obi One, you're my only hope.

7 comments:

loraloo0604 said...

So if you reboot, the computer doesn't give you a found new devices message?  If no, go to Sounds in the control panel and try playing some of the system sounds.  Do you hear anything?

Bad Cyndi, for deleting programs unless you're absolutely sure you don't need them.  :)

Let me know what happens, I'd be glad to help.

cyndiblock said...

When I went in to play a sound: This message came up:
Windows cannot play the sound %systemroot%\media\windows xp error.wav Your sound card may be in use.
When I check out the volume it says :No audio device.

Thanks for your help. Now fix it. :(

loraloo0604 said...

So the sound works when you're in safe mode, do I understand you correctly?

Do you know how to get to your device manager?  If you right click the My Computer icon (either on your desktop or from the start button), choose "Manage".  You see a Device Manager option on the left, and if you click on it, all your devices come up on the right.  Do you see a sound card listed under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers"?  Do you see any yellow question marks anywhere on your list?  If you do see a yellow question mark, what does it say?

Have you tried reinstalling your sound driver from Dell?  You can pull up your system on the dell.com support website via the Dell Serial number, and download any drivers you need.  Is this system still under warranty?

cyndiblock said...

LORA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a friggin genius!!!!!!!!!! IT worked!!! I love you!!! I owe you lunch! I mean it!!!  Name the date and the place. I downloaded a driver from Dell. You are the smartest gal I know. Thank you Thank you.

loraloo0604 said...

LOL  You are so welcome, you owe me nothing.  I'd really hate anyone to miss the new Harry Potter trailer!!  

loraloo0604 said...

I'd never mind having lunch, you know...(but not as payment!) - do you ever get out for lunch from work?

cyndiblock said...

I would love that. We can talk about Jen!! And I guess our kids. I am super large now so don't shudder when you see me. Email me at cyndiblock@aol.com and we can plan something soon. I work on DI and Valley View.