Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Ring of Fire

June Carter Cash and Johnny Cash died within three months of each other. They loved each other that much. This Friday, Jeff and I have to make the decision to put Spooky down. He can’t walk anymore and he is not happy. We had to pick him up to take him outside last night. He won’t eat and he just lies in the same spot all night. Just like Otis. It is absolutely amazing to me that a dog so full of life has completely deteriorated in a matter of a month. He can’t even go to the mailbox with Alyssa anymore.  

When I got the dogs they were puppies. When we took them to the vet to get checked out for the first time the vet said that both dogs should live 10 -12 years. At the time, that seemed so far away. As you know, Otis just passed away in his 10th year and Spooky will be ten in March. To tell you that having two dogs pass away in the same year sucks rocks would be an understatement.  I will tell the girls first this time. I will make sure they are prepared and I will make sure that they understand that the dog that is here right now is not the dog that we know and love. This little guy is an empty shell that is so overcome with grief that he has let his body crumble.  This little guy is in pain.

4 comments:

jillypie1970 said...

I understand...cleaning house.  Out with the old, in with the new.

mmm hmm.

Whatever.

linda7377 said...

I can't begin to tell you how sad I am about your dogs. I know how wonderful these dogs were and are and I can't imagine your house without them. But, I know that you can't keep Spooky with you when he is suffering so much and I saw how much he is suffering. I really thought that he would snap out of it after a while but he hasn't. The only concern I have is with the girls... to lose two dogs in such a short span of time is so very sad. These dogs have been with them for as long as they have been in existence. But I know that you and Jeff will handle it with them with comfort and with feeling. I don't envy you that conversation.

lbgintex said...

Cyndi....my heart goes out to you, Jeff and the girls.  Both Jeff and Rick grew up on a farm and they have seen pets come and go.  
Although this is a sad time, it is also a time for learning..... As I have shared with you before, the Bible teaches about there being a time for everything.
Why dogs don't live longer, I have no clue, but I do know that the time they are in our care is very precious.
it's been a year and a half since I had to make the same decision about Jake.... Did I grieve?  You bet I did....but time passed, and while he will never be forgotten, the pain is now gone....replaced with memories and now a new puppy.  
The girls will be sad...they will cry...and they will learn...

I'm praying for them and for you...

Love you,
Marti

unwoundrodeo said...

I visit you here to be uplifted and entertained, now I am crying! I am so sorry about Disco Lemonade. I read Marti's comments and I know also living on a farm(we prefer the term ranch-even though there are no horses or cows...), the whole circle of life thing happens more often. But, it never gets easier for me. I think it is because of the children and not only experiencing my sadness, but theirs also. We brought home the cutest kitten on Sunday night. The kids named him Kalamazoo. Sweet, sweet, sweet. He lived here 2 nights before being murdered, by Dally! Our nice dog! Earlier in the the year, Dally experienced the loss of her puppies when our rat terrier, Spencer, apparenty mistook puppies for rats! She was a victim! and now has gone over to the other side.  Oh, there was much lamenting and really howling. I am thinking of you. I miss you. I love you.