Wednesday, May 10, 2006

About to scream

In March when we moved, I lept into the millennium and got me a cable modem. It has been nothing short of Hell for me. My AOL snaps off after 10-15 minutes every time I use it. When I called AOL, they did all the necessary changes to my account and it still snapped off. They blamed the modem. So I called Cox communications. They did all of their necessary changes and blamed AOL. When I told them that it happened when I went straight to my Internet explorer and it snapped off there also, they blamed my computer. They said I needed a new card??? I beg of you, my computer savvy friends, and introducing another re-hook up friend, Lora, to help me with some advice before I chuck my entire operation off of the 2nd floor of my new house.

On other notes, My sister in law's, sister, Sveta and her husband, Alex came to town two nights ago. All the way from Moscow. We went to dinner and then Jeff took them shooting. (the next day) He said they had a lot of fun. I would love to show ou the video that Jeff took but you see, I can't because my Internet wont stay on long enough for me to upload it onto youtube.com. Everyone I know works with computers. Please I beg of you, help me. I have done and spoke to everyone. What do I need in my computer to make this work?

4 comments:

loraloo0604 said...

If you have Cox cable modem, you can get to the Internet without signing on to AOL.  Have you tried that?  If you haven't, try it.  Just click on Internet Explorer and see if you get disconnected.  

My honest advice?  Get rid of AOL.  I had it too before using the cable modem, and you don't need it for an internet connection.  It will save you $ if nothing else.  You can get an email address from Cox for free (it should be included with your monthly fee, I think you can get up to 8 for free, but I'd check on that).  AOL is any computer tech's nightmare.  The software can really wreak havoc on your PC.

loraloo0604 said...

DUH, I re-read your post and you did connect directly to the Internet.  It may be your card in that case.  If Cox reset your modem and really did do the correct tech support, it could be the card.  You can get a card extremely cheap, and installation should be inexpensive if you don't know how to do it yourself (it's really not that hard, especially if you're using XP).  

loraloo0604 said...

I've been thinking about this since I read it last night.  Perhaps you could try to completely uninstall AOL (and reboot) and see if you're still having trouble.   You may lose any personal data stored for AOL (you'd have to go through setup again too), so consider that before you try it.  I haven't worked with that software for some time, but it was always a network nightmare in the past, thus possibly affecting your cable modem.  It might beat replacing parts in the PC for nothing, I'm still not entirely convinced that's your problem.

Anyway, hope this helps.

lbgintex said...

Cyndi.....I agree...."GET RID OF AOL"!!  They will alwys play the blame game and will never admit that their software not only takes up LOTS of room and memory, but that it just messes up other programs as well......

Uninstall AOL......go with your Cox Cable and you'll be a happy camper!!!!